In honor of Southern Fried Fourth of July starting TONIGHT, I wanted to share a special recipe created by RIDE TV’s President Craig Morris’ mom, Dixie Purselley, filled with love and lots of comfort that will make this holiday one you (and your stomach) won’t forget.
Dixie’s Chicken Fried Steak Recipe
• Start with cube steaks, she recommends 2-3 per person depending on how hungry everyone is!
• Crush 4 sleeves of saltine crackers
• Hand whisk an egg wash
• Pre-heat your skillet and oil to 400 degrees
• Fully immerse cube steaks in egg wash
• After egg wash, pack your cube steaks with crushed saltines so there’s a good layer of cracker all around the steak
• Drop the steaks in the hot oil and fry until golden brown crust
• Make sure to cut into your first 1 or 2 to ensure your oil is hot enough and your chicken is fully cooked through!
• After steaks are fried, dispose of your grease, leaving 4-6 tbsp of grease in your skillet for your gravy
• Add 4 big tbsp of white flour – enough to thicken the grease so it isn’t “soupy,” whisk together quickly
• Let your flour and grease mixture brown, then add a few cups of milk
• Let your gravy simmer until it’s the desired thickness you like. If you need to thin it, add milk, and to thicken it, mix flour with a little bit of hot water and add that to your gravy
• Pour gravy over steaks and enjoy!
Trying this recipe out? Tag RIDE TV in your picture to let us know how it went!
Tune in to Southern Fried Fourth of July, featuring Southern Fried Skinnyfied, this week starting at 7pm | 6c, followed by a marathon July 4 starting at 9am | 8c. Southern Fried Fourth of July is brought to you by DISH - your partner in Western Living.